Leaders in Volunteerism
General Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, August 14th, 2018 – Noon-1:30pm
Location: HACAP – 1515 Hawkeye Dr, Hiawatha, IA 52233
Chris Ackman, Janessa Weightman, Hailee Sandberg, Kayla Paulson, Jade Riley
Sausha Petroske, Krystin Mittan, Katie Spear, Jessica Link, Lindsey Tygart-Brown, Kim Junge, Sandy Resoneberger, RaeAnn Gordon, Barbara Berns, Angie Ehle, Jenae Pederson, Hannah Ganzel, Samantha Hebel, Maria Jose Eyzaguirre
12:03-12:19 PM WELCOME – LIV President- Chris Ackman
12:20 PM ANNOUNCE 2017-2018 CELEBRATION OF CHANGE Recipient
- Jade Riley represented the agency with the most attendance, Willis Dady Homeless Services. He has elected to have the Celebration of Change donated to Riverview Center.
12:22 PM INTRODUCTION & CELEBRATION OF CHANGE - All attendees
12:32 PM FORMAL BUSINESS
12:32 PM LIV Officer Induction- Hailee Sandberg
- Hailee Sanberg- New Past President
- Chris Ackman- New Current President
- Janessa Weighman- New Vice President
- Jade Riley- New Secretary
- Kayla Paulson- Reigning Marketing & Communication
- Angie Ehle- Reigning Treasurer
12:35 PM Treasurer Position Discussion- Chris Ackman
- Discussion about the Treasurer position first brought up that, per our by-laws, Angie is unable to continue in the positions. It was brought up that, if we cannot find a new member to serve as treasurer, United Way can step in as a Fiduciary Agent. However, a challenge of that is that a little bit of all of our income would go towards them as well, and United Way when then be always present on the board with a liaison if a staff member is not already part of the LIV executive team. As such, if any current member is interested, it would allow us to keep our income while also developing the member’s leadership role with something that is essential and low in time commitment.
12:40 PM Potential Meeting Location Discussion- Chris Ackman
- Though Oakland Rd Hy Vee has given us a location with the benefits of parking and lunch options, there are some challenges with its booking, so we discussed the opportunities and challenges of moving the location. We still want to keep a standard location, but don’t have one in particular set.
LIV Grant and dues- Hailee Sandberg
- We clarified that membership dues are in August. We also went over up-dates for the grant. These updates where that Hailee is now the executive member in charge of processing the applications; that there will now be two application times per year; that there would be deadlines of September 28th, 2018 and March 29th, 2019; that applicants must be in their 2nd year of paid membership; that applicants cannot be currently serving on the application committee; and that the grants can be used for capacity building benefits to the receiving agency, such as a training or appreciation event for volunteers.
September 10th meeting Date
- We had a brief discussion to determine if we needed to adjust our September meeting since it may be a national service day. It was decided that it would be best settled by an email poll.
1:01-1:16 PM PRESENTATION - Ice Breakers, Networking Kayla Paulson
- Tabled groups wrote at minimum 4-5 future LIV Topics. They were gathered and organized by the execs of LIV. The notes from the activity are posted in the minutes here:
- Volunteers engaged as volunteer managers
- Balance between the personal and professional life
- Generational trends in managing and recruiting volunteers (Gen Z & Boomers)
- Retention and turnover with volunteer management professionals
- Volunteer management 101- recruiting, retaining, & recognizing volunteers
- Dependability in choosing and engaging with volunteers
- Leading from where you are
- Talent Development
- Peer swapping on applications and engagement materials
- Fundraising for more with management
- Engaging Volunteers as Donors
- Grant Writing
- Communicating with past and current volunteers
- Roadmap and resource map of Volunteer Engagement Network
- Dealing with difficult volunteers: risks, best approaches, & transitioning volunteers
- Volunteer recognition on a budget, balance of frequency
- Volunteer materials- handbook, confidentiality, code of conduct, orientations, & ongoing trainings
- Effective Communication with large groups
1:25 PM AGENCY ANNOUNCEMENTS
1:32 PM NEXT MEETING Chris Ackman
- The LIV executives will be following up with a new location time and place. The meeting will center on a review of the LIV Conference this past May. This discussion is open both to those who participated, and those who couldn’t attend, as we’ll be more focused on the takeaways and applications of the meeting materials. It’s sure to be a lively and generative discussion!
1:32 PM MEETING ADJOURNED
- LIV Meetings are held on the second Tuesday of the month from 12:00-1:30pm.
Respectfully Submitted by
Volunteer Coordinator, Willis Dady Homeless Services
Tuesday, August 14th, 2018